Saturday, November 15, 2014

Previously in San Miguel

My time in San Miguel de Allende is calling me back:

House and Garden Tour
I have been looking at the photos of the last time I was in San Miguel - a trip with my good friend Mary, in December of 2012 (more about that soon).  Last night I poured through all the things I collected to guide my journey - the handheld "Best of San Miguel" map - used so much that it's ripped along the seams, so you can peek through the middle. I brought home, and kept, a now two-year-old copy of Atención (the Spanish/English newspaper, a great source to events like the Biblioteca's movie days or house and garden tours, outdoor art shows at Juarez Park (Parque Juarez), local theater, Audubon trips and other interesting things to do. I am also remembering some things that are on my San Miguel "bucket list" - a visit to the hot springs, horseback riding, and taking an art or cooking class (stay tuned and share those experiences with me). I can't wait until the next edition comes online, so I can make some plans. Take a look at the Atención; what would you chose to do, if you were coming with me? Ah, decisions, decisions!


Colorful Mexican Kitchens
Today, it is about securing a place to stay, getting D's passport (since it is lost in the abyss of merging two households into one) and then getting our plane tickets. We are fortunate to have found a property manager in San Miguel, recommended by a friend that lives in the area. Martha is taking care of the San Miguel side of things - she found us a great place to stay - close to the action of the city center (el centro), with a colorful kitchen, quiet workspace for D and a great view (Oh that view). Travel from the airport in Leon is a must, since we won't be renting a car for this trip. Martha has arranged for someone to come and get us - yay!  It's about a 2 hour drive, through mostly farm land, with a few small towns in between. I remember the last time I landed in Leon. We arrived late and didn't want to travel at night, so we stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel. We could see the hotel across the highway, but no real way to walk there. I think we paid a cab about $30 (maybe each) just to drive us across the street - yikes!  This time, it's all the way to San Miguel, sunlight or not. Thank you Martha!

From our stay at the "Flower Pot" in 2012
I am also starting to list the things I want to bring from home. I am reminded that when my friend Mary and her husband Abdi went on their year around the world, they opened the question of what to pack to the students following their journey. What to bring - definitely some really great comfortable shoes. Like my mom used to say, "if your feet feel good, the rest of your body will follow". I also hear that the best way to ensure that your will return to a country is to keep some of it's money.  When I left India, I made sure to spend every last rupee, only to find some crumpled into a pocket of some dirty and very dusty pants. When I left Mexico, I proudly kept enough for that taxi ride and some coffee. While India may very well be in my future, it's time to return to Mexico. So, two things are already packed - shoes and some pesos! 

Tonight - I start Rosetta Stone - más pronto!





1 comment:

  1. I like the House and Garden Tour photo. It looks like a gathering of las niñas bonitas.

    ReplyDelete