Thursday, January 8, 2015

I Don't Know Art, But I Know What I Like


Experiencing Mexican art is amazing. Murals tell the stories of battles fought, of a farmer's plentiful harvest, of women carrying baskets of food, and the deep roots of their ancestry.  Stepping into an art museum anywhere in Mexico is an adventure - a visual awakening and, for me, something that feels like coming home.

Diego Rivera
To Americans, Diego Rivera is perhaps the most well known of all Mexican artists. So many of my friends have at least one of his prints hanging somewhere in their home. Rivera, a traditional muralist, started his career telling stories that reflected his communist political views and values of social justice. Fortunately for us, his controversial style changed as his attention focused on the softer life of Mexican people  - "The Flower Vendor", "The Grinder", and "The Rug Weaver" - my personal favorites. 

And who can forget the depictions of death and tragedy in the paintings of Frieda Kahlo, known mostly in the U.S. as Diego Rivera's wife. I was able to visit Diego Rivera's birthplace in Guanajuato City in 2012. Though the renovations to his childhood home were unfinished, and it held only a fraction of his work, is was wonderful to honor his contributions by paying a visit. More about Frida soon.


Alfredo Zalce
If I could meet any Mexican artist (deceased), it would have to be Alfredo Zalce, who was really the father of contemporary art in Mexico. Zalce's, who died in 2003, painted murals that depicted everyday life in Mexico -  the hardship of work, the joy of music, the teacher (perhaps a self portrait).  His paintings of women are among my favorite in the world. A museum in his name was built in Morelia, Michoacán - a surprise at every turn.

But my all-time favorite artist, though I know so little about him, is Ruben Morales. I first saw his work in San Miguel in 2012.  It was an instant love affair. I abandoned my own code of ethics and photographed as much of his work as I could find around town. Some of these photos are hanging in my house (don't tell anyone). This time, I want to meet him and buy one of his drawings - it would be my first REAL piece of art. Morales, who is now 66 years old, has been quoted as saying, “I try to create a feeling or emotion, maybe portraying melancholy or sadness.” He does this through faceless subjects in everyday situations: a woman selling flowers, an old man walking with a cane or a girl washing clothes. The mood is evoked with simple gesture, posture, and color applied in broad strokes.

I find it interesting that in my photography, I want to see every eyelash, every wrinkle and every shadow. So, I don't quite understand my soulful connection to the vague and abstract but it's undeniable as I look at the pastel work of Morales. 
Ruben Morales


Over the next month, I plan to visit as many art galleries in San Miguel, as I can. After all, San Miguel is known as a colony for artists, both Mexican and North American. My visit to San Miguel coincides with the first exhibit of friend and  painter Natalie Hinshaw Bartholet, who divides her time between Stonington, CT, and San Miguel. I will visit the Bellas Artes, the famous Instituto Allende and the Fabrica de Auroro. I hope you will enjoy my future posts about the art and artists I find and meet. 

So glad you are with me on this journey - Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment