Tuesday, January 20, 2015

News From the Front

We are at the half way point in our San Miguel adventure and I can honestly say there is too much to write about. To have the luxury to plan nothing or plan too much (which is usually the case) is wonderful and exactly what we were hoping for. 


Huevos Rancheros and Pleasure Book Reading at Muro
We started our second week with a leisurely Sunday morning breakfast and some reading at one of my favorite breakfast spots Cafe Muro, on Calle Loreto. 

We really spent the day walking around San Miguel - catching the sites and sounds, and experiencing the people and food in the city. There is always something going on in the Jardin (City Center) and having street food is a real treat, so to quench our thirst and boost our blood sugar we got a tub of freshly cut fruit, doused with lime juice and sprinkled with a spicy chilly seasoning. 


Assortment of Melons with Chilies - YUM
We found a great little movie theater that holds about 24 people called the Pocket Theater. We have since seen Fox Catcher and Diplomacy there. They fill up fast so we have had a few disappointing times, trying to make it there without getting lost or taking too long to walk there. For the price of admission ($7.00US) you get the movie, something to drink and a free bag of popcorn. Actually, I think that the movie is free, because of some legal consequence to charging for the movie (word on the street), so they charge for the drink and popcorn instead. Anyway, they have a great variety of new releases in English and current foreign films. 

Sunday was one of those days, we arrived too late to get in, so we sat in the park, listening to the battle of the mariachi bands, watching the shoe shine men, Mexican families - children with their ice cream, and the vendors selling their handicrafts.  We later caught up with new friends Jill and David and had a great dinner at La Posadita - a rooftop restaurant with one of the best views of the churches. The food was absolutely mouth watering. Here's to great food, a lazy day and new friends!

Some Tai Chi / Mambo Fusion

On Monday, David was back to work and I was off to find Lydia again. This time, Jill and I tracked her down and attended her version of a mambo tai chi class. What a great time!!! So it's Lydia Monday, Wednesday and Fridays in the park until we leave.

Monday was also my introduction to the Barro.co Clay Studio. I knew when I heard Tracy Chapman and Van Morrison playing, I was in a great place. There are so many art classes in San Miguel, that I had a difficult time choosing between photography, pastels or pottery class. I went with pottery, since the terracotta folk art and masks in Mexican museums have always resonated with me. 

Barroco Clay Studio
So there I was, a full bucket of wet clay and a zillion ideas in my head. I ended the first day bursting out laughing, as the other eight students silently concentrated on their work. It's a lot harder that it looks, after-all, I thought, how much harder than playing with Playdough can it be? Remember the little machine with the little cookie cutter shapes to chose from? Adria and Roberto were really patient and somehow at the end of day two, I had something that resembled a person, starting to come to life.


I was invited by Else Marie, from Ojala de Ninos, to attend a really great fund raising event called, "100 Women Who Care". When I walked in, there were, no lie, at least 100 women sitting in this room, mostly Gringos. The way it works is that they each donate between $70 and $700 US dollars, some in teams of two or four. Each person that represents a charity enters the name of that charity (only once) into a drawing. Three charities are chosen at random from the basket of names. A representative from each of the charities then gets up in front of the group and has five minutes to share the mission of the charity and why they deserve to receive all the donations brought in that day. Then all those attending vote on the charity they think should get the funding. The winner takes home the full amount. Do the math, one charity benefits big from the function. They hold these monthly.


100 Women Who Care

On my way home, I passed the flower vendor, to get some flowers for David. How fun to celebrate our six month wedding anniversary here in San Miguel. We went out for a great dinner and took a long stroll in the warmth of San Miguel.

Tuesday was David's day off. We booked a tour to some neighboring towns. As previously posted, our trip took in the Castillo Talavera Ceramic Factory (see Searching for Talavera) and some great other sites, which I will write about soon.

Wednesday I went out to Ojala, to spend time with the children, while David worked :(. I had so much fun. All the volunteers met at the Bodega Aurrerra (one of three mega markets at the edge of town), then piled into a few cars, and we were off to Old San Miguel. Through the generosity of others, Ojala teaches Spanish and literacy skills, arts and crafts and vocational skills. I understand, from the 100 Women Who Care event, that in rural parts of Guanajuato, only 12% of children complete the 6th grade. So these skills taught at Ojala are extremely important. Ojala gives children a place to go after school and for toddlers, a place to go for a preschool experience. I'll post photos soon.

On Thursday, we heard from our pyramid guide, Albert Coffee that we were on for horseback riding for Saturday. We knew that it would be a long day, and that since the price included travel insurance, which made me think we were at risk of losing our lives, we laid low on Friday - did laundry (by hand) made some home cooked meals and prepared to meet our fate with Rodrigo from Coyote Canyon Adventures. We went to see the movie, "The Other Side of Immigration" at the Shelter Theater, about the struggles of Mexican men and their families when they go over the boarder to the U.S. to find work. It gave me a new perspective on Mexico and its people. If you can see it, I guarantee, you'll never think of immigration reform in the same way.

 
Friday we went to see a great quartet, who played and sang French love ballads. At first, I felt way too tired to go, but then I kept thinking of my recent Paris encounters - was I "supposed to go" for some reason? It made me think of my friend Anne-Marie, who loves and just visited Paris and my recent conversation with my niece McKayla, about going to Paris together. When David and I talked about going somewhere next year for a month, Paris was a consideration. And then, when we entered our house rental here in San Miguel, there were two sketches of Paris on the wall.  Hmmm. It turned out to be a great, relaxing evening and they sang songs from many of the old French romance movies. Thank you Chansons - we loved it!.

Horseback riding on Saturday was a blast. Sitting here three days later, I can still feel the affects - if ya know what I mean!  This was the first time I had straight-out galloped on a horse. I mean, we ran those horses! It wasn't one of those touristy, stay in a line, or worse yet - tie you to the horse kind of adventures. It was a six hour day with a great ride down into the canyon, through streams and back up the other side. 

We (and there were eight of us in our group) had a great lunch at one of the ranches. Those that were brave enough (and I was NOT) repelled down the side of a 150ft. cliff. David and I watched. 

My horse wanted to be in front of the pack, nipping the horses in front of him that were going too slow and taking a chunk out of the dog's hind end that got under his feet. So, when the photo op on the side of the cliff was offered, I passed. I thought my horse might just take a leap right over the edge. So, I opted to dismount my horse and stand next to David for this photo.  We really had a great day. I recommend Rodrigo and his cowboys for a day you'd never forget. (and three days of not being able to walk - haha)

This part of Mexico was truly one of the most breathtaking places I have ever been. 



Our adventures did not stop there. I will write more about our Saturday evening soon.  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment